For many people when they decide to ditch the sugar they have no idea what they are going to eat!
This is completely understandable given that most food we find in the supermarket aisles are packed with added sugar; sauces, condiments, tinned goods as well as the more obvious suspects of cakes, biscuits and confectionary. When we have been in the habit of filling our trollies with these things it can feel a daunting task.
Here's a few tips of how you can get started...
- Learn to make the basic sauces such as a tomato sauce and white sauces, these can then be adapted to make a variety of quick meals such as curry, chilli and pasta sauces.
Here is a quick tomato sauce recipe that I use for everything, even pizza topping.
- 1 cartoon of passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 1 dsp. of olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
Put everything in a pan together and simmer gently (yes no frying involved, very simple!) until it reduces slightly. The oil will initially sit on the surface but can eventually be missed in.
- Become a label reading ninja and learn to spot hidden sugars (there is a list in the file section in this group)
- Experiment with sugar-free drinks, get friendly with carbonated water and add in fruit or steep fruit tea bags in boiling water and then dilute with fizzy water and ice.
- Put a list together of your favourite sugar-free snacks and pin it on the fridge so whenever you feel like indulging you don't have to think.
Check out my 'Nourish Yourself to Sugar-Free-Dom' course which starts in January, it will be jam packed of tips, recipes and support to get you started on YOUR sugar-free journey HERE