Golden Autumn to Winter Casserole
This delicious, nutritious naturally creamy winter casserole is packed with nutrients and warming ingredients.
Tumeric makes it extra immune boosting, squash makes it sweet and gives that 'warm in the belly' comfort food factor and the yellow split peas make it hearty and give it good dollop of protein.
- 225g (8oz) yellow split peas
- 600ml (1 pint) water or vegetable stock
- 1 kg of squash (your favourite variety or a mixture – you could even substitute some carrots and swede)
- 2 tbsp tarmari 50g
- (2oz) creamed coconut
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp black mustard seeds
- pinch mixed herbs or handful of fresh (your favourites)
- 1 onion, sliced thinly 1 tsp turmeric 150-200ml water
Simmer the split peas, water and stock gently together until soft (about 20-30mins) check to make sure they don’t dry out.
Deseeded and chopped the squash into cubes (scrub well and no need to peel squash, but swede does need peeling!)
Mix altogether with cooked split peas in large casserole dish
Warm oil and add mustard seeds – stir until they start popping.
Add onion and sweat until soft (about 10 mins)
Stir in turmeric – cook for few more mins and mix into squash mixture, with enough water to make it fairly moist
Oven : 375/190/gas 5
Cover and bake for 40-45 mins until the squash is soft